Well, I am now on week three of teaching school this year. So far, it has gone very well. My students are charming, really. They all have their own little quirks, but each one walked into my classroom with a clean slate in my mind. Yes, I was given their past history at the school.....their "stories" and what I should watch out for, but honestly, I have treated all of them as if they are special, because they are. Are some of them living up to their past reputation? No, because I don't view them as having a reputation when they are in my class. You can't, or they will never get a chance in life. I don't talk about them to other teachers....describing their negative traits or qualities....I simply brag about how well they do. I should be proud of them. They work hard, and they are smart. They deserve someone to cheer them on and be their fan. I want to be their biggest fan.
Let me share some funny things I have learned from my students so far:
Pencils can sometimes be used as kung fu fighting tools.
Erasers work great as temporary chewing gum.
Chairs work well as teeter totters.....until you're caught off guard and make a huge crash for all to see.
You can sharpen a pencil within a half inch of its life and it only takes 10 minutes.
You can never have too many erasers on your pencil...they make great stackers.
Pencil grippers work great as finger guards, until you're asked to take them off, and then they don't come off without hurting.
I'm sure I will have more to come. =)
I decided to give my dog a hair cut the other day. Amos now looks bald, but I think he likes it. Abby is due for hers as well, but I will have to wait until I have a free minute. Not sure when that will be.
I have greatly enjoyed decorating my dining room the past few weeks with items I purchased with some birthday money. I went with some reds, golds, blacks and browns. Kirklands and Hobby Lobby are becoming my favorite stores because they have great sales! I also added some laminate words above the bay window that look like they are painted on. It says "Our Commitment, As for me and my house we will serve the Lord." It looks really cool. In case you are interested in some for your house, check out www.pgrahamdunn.com They have some AMAZING products for your home that have great scripture and sayings on them. I got the words from a store of theirs in Gatlinburg, TN. It was such an awesome store. They also have some great things you could use for baby rooms...those of you who have them. =) Their items are a little pricy though, so you may need to save up.
Here is something I have realized the past few weeks. Never underestimate the power of spending quality time with people. When you look back on your life, you will probably never say you wished you worked more or had a job that made more money. But, one thing that you may say is that you wished you spent more time investing in the lives of others. No matter how young or old, it matters.
Tuesday, September 2, 2008
Posted by amothersjourney at 9:49 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
You are such a great teacher! Those kids are so blessed to have you.
Can't wait to see the new room! Hobby Lobby also has laminate wording. Like you said, there are lots of choices for baby rooms. But they also had lots of verses. I was looking into adding one in our living room.
Hey I wonder who gave you that great idea to put wall words over that window....hmmmmmmmmmmmmm was it ME??? WHY YES it was! I'm sooo smart and crafty like that!
Post a Comment